Basic Relaxation Technique
You can use your TAO Totem whether you are standing, walking, sitting, or lying down as long as you are comfortable.
When you first try this exercise, start by lying on the floor. Loosen any tight clothing, such as your shoes, collar, or belt. Graduate to sitting in a chair, and finally, try this technique mentally so that you can scan your entire body and relax each area, one area at a time, relaxing completely, regardless of where you are or what physical position you are in. Here's how:
At first you may have to retrace these steps until all regions of your body are relaxed at the same time. Keep at it until you are able to relax completely and quickly, associating this relaxation with just a few strokes of your TAO Totem.
- Hold your TAO Totem loosely in either hand. Never grip it tightly. Gently stroke the curved slide with your thumb.
- Focus your thoughts onto your TAO Totem and let the enjoyable feeling of calmness flow over you. Keep stroking your TAO Totem as you do this exercise. You have already begun to relax. You can feel your TAO Totem at work.
- Now shift your attention to the very top of your head. Consciously tighten and then let your scalp to relax.
- Do the same with your jaw muscles. Tighten intentionally and then relax. This is particularly important because most tension will cause your jaw muscles to tighten. Let those muscles to relax by focusing your attention on them.
- Are there any other tense muscles in your head or face? Focus directly on them and let them to relax.
- Shoulders and arms are next. Even as you are relaxing and feeling your tension drain away, you are able to keep stroking your TAO Totem.
- Next, relax your abdomen. This is another part of your body that easily carries excess tension. Tighten your abdominals, hold the tension for a count of five, and then release. Relax.
- Last, relax your legs and feet. Starting with the toes, wiggle the toes, rotate the ankles and then flex and point the toes. Relax. Move up to the calves and long muscles of the thighs, tensing and relaxing until your feel fall outward comfortably.
When you have mastered this method of relaxation, you will have gained control of the tension your are prone to carrying in your body for the rest of your life. Your TAO Totem will help you maintain this sense of control simply by association so you can relax even if you are in a room full of people. Carry it in your pocket and it's always available when you need it.